Saturday, October 1, 2011

9.21.2011

Out of your Experience

Loved this talk! When I was getting my endorsement from President Brownell, he told me the one thing he was concerned about was that I would have a problem with standing up for the Honor Code. Not that I would break the rules, but I needed to help my roommates remember the honor code when they would forget. He reminded me that (especially if I got into BYU) there were people who did not get in. We are all in a spot that someone else wanted. It's a good way to think about it. I plan to write a reaction paper on this one.

In class notes

Pg. 76: Collage, Montage, Mosaic, Vignette, Episode, Segment:
Opening sentence: "It's a common problem among student writers, starting too far back in the narrative or trying to encompass too much time or too much activity in a single chronology.

My thoughts:
The opening statement was good. It started by telling us everything. I don't need to finish the essay to learn at least one thing, but I would like to.
I also believe that to be true, that students do start too far back. sometimes the best writing covers only a matter of moments, with stronger sentences.

Opening Statement tools:
Issue up front
Scene
Curiosity
Dialogue/Quote
Ladder-top/bottom
Establishes contrast/conflict
Blunt/Short
Establishes tone
Establishes connection/doesn't
Imagery-description, metaphor

Tense
challenges expectation


Decide why I wrote what I wrote!

No comments:

Post a Comment